Saturday, July 26, 2008

Returning to where it all started.



So, it was good to return to the school that started it all. While several things hadn't changed in the favela, I see that the school has had several changes. The theatre is complete. Signs display their progress and the library was even more inviting. I walked through the library and was able to see how several of the books, Blessings for Brazil had donated, were being used by the children and the community. I will be returning to the school on Monday to see Regina, the Volunteer Coordinator. Its just so good to be able to see that we have helped to make a difference.



On Monday, I plan to return to the school with over 40 books. When I was in Salvador, I found a book distributor that had books for very good price. For example, in Ipanema books on teaching English were at least R$40, but in this store, I found similar books for R$10. So using the donations of my lovely Blessings family, I spent about R$200 (about US$160) on books. I am very pleased to be able to have portuguese books for students and the favela community. The pictures are a glimpse of the amount of books I purchased. Books varied from history, fantasy, science and learning English books.



No comments: