Monday, July 28, 2008

Robbery on the Avenida

Yesterday I saw my second crime. Well, I can't say I saw the actual offense, but I saw the after effects. First I heard a guy shouting from a few yards behind me. When I turned, I saw a woman (black) running across the street. A couple of foreigners ran and caught on to her when she went to the other side of the street, but their hold did not last and she ran down the street, taking off the sweater she was wearing. Then a woman called out in rage. I could not tell what was stolen, for I did not see much. But you can believe, I said some serious thank you prayers.

With the beauty of Brazil, there are some serious issues with crime. The first robbery I saw was last year in Centro. Pick-pocketters easily took the wallet of a Brazilian man. When I asked the friend I was with how did he know, he said he watched them. It was like he knew that they were fixed on the man. I was amazed by his sharp eyes, and held on tighter to what I had. During the New Year's holiday time, a guy from the mid-west was robbed twice. I have to admit, being the loud Americano, with his clearly American attire did not help. It helps when you modify your appearance and try to down play the strong foreigner look. I say, flip-flops are a start. Lower your voice and laugh. If you can't speak their language, just whisper. Yesterday, a woman on the bus was trying to get directions from the conductor. Her strong American voice was obvious, and she did not seem to know any Portuguese. I whispered, "I will help you because the conductor does not know English, but you need to lower your voice. You don't want to make it obvious that you are a foreigner." The Californian paralegal was greatful, and got off where she needed. But it is necessary to try to offset and minimize what could happen.

At the end of the day, I ask God for safety and read the Psalms. While crime could happen anywhere, I find that here I try to be more aware of my surroundings and pray that the Lord's heavenly angels keep me safe.

No comments: